Thursday, September 15, 2011

Simple Salmon

Hello! It is a beautiful night out, so I used that opportunity to... cook indoors.
I love grilling food as much as the next girl, but after working from 8 am - 9pm today, I wanted something quick and delicious that I could enjoy from the comfort of my own kitchen.



Enter (on stage right) my mini George Foreman Grill
I bought this awhile back when I moved into my own place at school. $18 bucks and worth every tiny penny!


As mentioned in my last post, I'm trying to be healthy, so I decided to grill up a scrumptious piece of salmon. 
I'm a new salmon eater, so when I found an easy recipe that worked, I stuck with it. I don't need any fancy sauces or rubs, and put some wasabi near me and my tongue lights on fire just thinking about it. The following is a very very easy, but delicious way to cook up a piece of salmon.


Ingredients:

  • Salmon
    • I should mention that when I went to Shaws, they had bright red, delightful looking Sockeye Salmon. I didn't know what this meant, but it looked wonderful (and more importantly, was on sale), so that is what came home with me. For other inquiring minds, Sockeye is a type of salmon native to the North Pacific. I like to think this salmon lived a good life before it ended up on my plate.
  • Olive oil (I'm normally not a stickler, but try to use good olive oil. You'll actually be able to taste it!)
  • Sea salt
  • Cracked black pepper
Directions:
  1. Preheat the grill (The beauty of the George Foreman is you just plug it in and wait for the light to turn off. If you are cooking on a big boy grill, preheat to medium-high)
  2. Drizzle olive oil on the side of the salmon with the skin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (as you see fit)
  3. Place the salmon skin side down on the grill, then oil and season the fleshy, red, delicious side. (If you are using the George Foreman, leave the lid up for a minute or so. That lets the skin crisp up nice without overcooking the salmon).
  4. After a minute or so, close the lid. Cook for a total of about 6-8 minutes. (On a real grill, flip about halfway through) Try not to cook for longer, or else the salmon dries out, and really, that lovely Pacific Sockeye gave its life in vain.
  5. Definitely squeeze lemon over it - I'm not putting this as an option. It's too tasty to skip this!
A nice quick, easy dinner. Served with a potato and spinach that I cooked up in the microwave. Yum yum in less than 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Tasty omega-3 goodness!


No comments:

Post a Comment