Thursday, September 8, 2011

Simple Poached Eggs

Another update so soon? You are really all very lucky that I have nothing to do today. So good morning!
I wanted a simple breakfast today, a poached egg and some toast. However, I've never made poached eggs the old fashioned way. We usually use a microwave egg poacher such as this little guy: Egg Poacher!
It's a very efficient egg poacher, but either the yolks are too hard or the whites are too runny. (I know, I'm like the Goldilocks of the egg world. But come on, life is too short for bad eggs).


So I googled around different recipes, and came up with the following, which yielded perfect, old-fashioned, poached eggs! Enjoy!


What is a breakfast without feta cheese? Or coffee in a homemade coffee mug (Thanks Joanne Zatzkin!)
Ingredients:

  • Egg(s) (WHAT. I know, probably the most shocking ingredient here)
  • Water
  • Dash of white vinegar (helps the egg stay together and look nice)
Directions:
Many different websites talked about measuring the temperature of the water, or messing with the temperature settings throughout the cooking process, but being lazy, that was too much work for me. I found the following to work nicely!
  1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
  2. Once boiling, throw in a dash (maybe 1 - 2 teaspoonsful) of vinegar
  3. Lower the heat to a low simmer, and swirl the water to slow the boil a bit.
  4. Crack the egg(s) into a small bowl. (Each egg gets its own bowl)
  5. Lower the small bowl into the water, and gently tip the egg into the water. (If you are doing more than 1 egg, wait 10-15 seconds before adding each egg)
  6. Cover for 4 minutes, then remove the egg(s) with a slotted spoon.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment