Saturday, March 9, 2013

New England Clam Chowder



Hello, reader(s)! :) It's been awhile! 
My apologies for the lack of posts... Things got busy, and this fell by the wayside. But tonight, I'm back! And I come bearing a yummy bowl of New England Clam Chowder!


This has always been a comfort food, and after the 2 feet of snow dumped on us the past few days, I needed a little comfort food! This is an easy, quick recipe that makes a delicious chowdah :)

Ingredients:
2 small yellow onions, peeled and minced
3 tablespoons butter
21 ounces of minced clams (with their juices!)
I couldn't find this exact amount of ounces. I ended up with 26 ounces (4-6.5 ounce cans.) No harm in extra clams! :)
2 cups diced, peeled potatoes. 
Or however many potatoes you want! I probably doubled this... but I love potatoes!
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups of milk
1 cup light cream


Directions:
Fry the onions in 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook them over moderate heat until they are pale golden (about 5 to 8 minutes). You don't want to brown them.
This was the only picture I took of the process, because I got too distracted!
After the onions are done, drain the liquid from the clams into the pan. Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
I have to use clip art due to my lack of pictures. Hope you don't mind :)
How does a clam make a call? On a shell phone!
Then, add the clams, milk, and cream. Cover and simmer 5-7 minutes, just enough to heat through!

At the very end, add the remaining butter, and stir until melted.

Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with paprika if you want to! At the very least, serve it with some oyster crackers!
And make sure you use the puffy ones, not those silly cracker ones. Good job. :)
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment