Saturday, January 28, 2012

Delightful Slow Cooker Beef

Happy winter, blog readers! To help you make it through these cold days, I thought I would provide you with a good, stick to your ribs, slow cooker beef dinner!


Yes, it IS as tasty as it looks!


This was a SUPER easy dinner - and the beauty of the slow cooker meal is that it was almost all ready for me to eat when I got home from work today!
Well,
almost. :)


If you are looking for an easy way to eat hearty and stay warm this winter, this is the meal for you!


(Adapted from the Zesty Cook)
Ingredients:

  • 1 beef roast (~4 pounds)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup red wine (Food network always says to cook with a wine that you would also drink! We used a cabernet)
  • White mushrooms (if you want a specific amount, we used 15 and quartered them. But listen to your heart :) And my heart loves mushrooms!)
  • Cherry tomatoes (again, for specifics, we used about 10)
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • Thyme (The recipe I found didn't specify an amount, so I pulled the leaves off of about 3 sprigs of fresh thyme)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Cornstarch
Directions:
PART I: IN THE MORNING:
In a large pan with olive oil, on medium high heat, sear all sides of the meat until caramelized.

Place meat in the slow cooker.
Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic. 
Then add the salt and pepper, wine and chicken broth, and then the thyme.

Cover and set on low. Cook for at LEAST 8 hours.

THEN GO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT! 
If I had it my way, I would have spent the 8 hours necessary to properly cook this doing something awesome, like Geocaching... or going to see a movie.

Or napping.
But instead I had to go to work...

After working up an appetite counting pills, it was time to come home to my dinner.

PART 2: AT DINNER TIME:,  
Take out the meat and vegetables and put the sauce in a pan. Bring to a boil and reduce.
Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch to 3 tablespoons of water, mix well, and add to the sauce.
Allow the sauce to thicken and create a (delicious!) gravy.


We served our beef with corn and a baked potato. And of course crusty bread. If you're questioning our use of crusty bread, just keep reading other posts. It goes with EVERYTHING. But really, just do whatever makes you feel good :)

And as always... enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment